Finally! My music game is back! July in general was all about regaining my balance. I got my job on track, my writing on track, everything generally on track. So overall, July was a pretty good month. Of course, we start with a Disney track, and this month is the theme song to my spirit animal, Mad Madam Mim, from Sword in the Stone, probably the most underrated Disney movie of all time. Sidebar: she is also the source of my Instagram bio, “I hate horrible, wholesome sunshine.”
The next seems a bit random, but “Story of My Life” got added because the song made an appearance on the show Boy Band (which is AMAZING AND EVERYTHING) and I realized I love this song, but didn’t actually have it on my iPod. Also, my roommate had never seen the video, so I made her watch it because I think it’s hilarious that she cries at everything. She thought she would make it through the video, but then it got to THAT PART (watch the vid and you’ll know) and she went, “Oh, shit. Oh, SHIT,” as the waterworks started. It’s making me laugh even as I type this, which makes me horrible, I know.
Another random is “Crank It Up” by Ashley Tisdale. I really like Ashley Tisdale, but a lot of her music isn’t my jam. However, July was also the month I started working out again (which is still the most horrible thing ever and I didn’t miss it at all), and this is a really good workout tune.
I did a post about my 4th of July, so I won’t go into it again, but I grabbed an older Lana Del Rey Song and Elvis singing an American classic for the day.
New music of the month was a track by Biotin Babies, Armstrongs, the new All-American Rejects EP, and of course Lana Del Rey’s new album, which is fantastic.
I also finally got around to the used bookstore in town, which also sells records, so I got my hands on David Bowie’s Scary Monsters. I already had “Fashion” and “Ashes to Ashes” in my library, so I spent the month listening to the other tracks and, love.
The last track on the playlist went to the theme music from Teen Wolf because the end of the month brought the premiere of the last ten episodes of the series and I’m both excited and upset by this.
Unfortunately, July also brought the death of the incredibly talented Chester Bennington of Linkin Park. Three years ago, I got to see Linkin Park in concert and I remember walking away thinking what an incredible show they put on and how his voice sounded almost identical to how it does on the albums. I knew I wanted to add a Linkin Park track to this month’s playlist, and was at first going to go with the obvious “Leave Out All The Rest,” with “My December” as a contender. But his death got me thinking about what Linkin Park’s music meant to me. This was the band I would play as a teenager when I was sad or angry because it felt good to hear someone else scream out the things that I was feeling and didn’t know how to put into words because I didn’t really know what was happening to me or how to deal with it. So I grabbed one of the songs that represented that time, “Somewhere I Belong.” As I got older, I learned how to shut up and get rid of some of my demons. Chester’s death was a reminder that it could have (and almost did) end a different way for me. I do sincerely pray that he’s at peace and my heart is still broken over the situation, and especially for his family and friends.
- “Mad Madam Mim”
- “Story of My Life” One Direction
- “American” Lana Del Rey
- “America The Beautiful” Elvis Presley
- “Day After” Biotin Babies
- “Sweat” the All-American Rejects
- “Close Your Eyes” the All-American Rejects *
- “Crank It Up” Ashley Tisdale
- “Groupie Love” Lana Del Rey ft. A$AP Rocky
- “Summer Bummer” Lana Del Rey ft. A$AP Rocky & Playboi Carti
- “If There Was Ever A Time” Armstrongs
- “It’s No Game (No.1)” David Bowie
- “Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)” David Bowie
- “Teenage Wildlife” David Bowie
- “Scream Like A Baby” David Bowie
- “Kingdom Come” David Bowie
- “Because You’re Young” David Bowie
- “Up The Hill Backwards” David Bowie
- “It’s No Game (No. 2)” David Bowie
- “Somewhere I Belong” Linkin Park
- “Cherry” Lana Del Rey
- “White Mustang” Lana Del Rey
- “In My Feelings” Lana Del Rey
- “God Bless America – And All the Beautiful Women In It” Lana Del Rey
- “When the World Was At War We Kept Dancing” Lana Del Rey
- “Beautiful People Beautiful Problems” Lana Del Rey ft. Stevie Nicks
- “Tomorrow Never Came” Lana Del Rey ft. Sean Ono Lennon
- “Heroin” Lana Del Rey
- “Change” Lana Del Rey
- “Get Free” Lana Del Rey
- “Teen Wolf Theme” Dino Meneghin
candle – Zoella “Seaside stroll”
Eyeshadow palette – BH Cosmetics – Illuminate by Ashley Tisdale in “Beach Goddess”
magazines – Interview (July 2017), Dazed & Confused (Spring/Summer 2017)